Posted by Peter
We've been hearing a lot about how Bush and the federal government have screwed up the relief effort in New Orleans in the media the last few days. What you're not hearing is the real story - how the local and state governments in Louisiana fell asleep at the switch and are now trying to transfer blame.
Pictured in this post are buses owned by the city of New Orleans that could have been used to get people out of the city. But they weren't - instead they decided to get angry, blame and let people die. Read the whole story HERE.
UPDATE: Governer Blanco didn't even order the school buses used until September 1st! A bit late don't you think? READ IT HERE
UPDATE II: From NOLA.com: The locals in New Orleans didn't even order an evacuation until urged by President Bush!
In the face of a catastrophic Hurricane Katrina, a mandatory evacuation was ordered Sunday for New Orleans by Mayor Ray Nagin.
Acknowledging that large numbers of people, many of them stranded tourists, would be unable to leave, the city set up 10 places of last resort for people to go, including the Superdome.
The mayor called the order unprecedented and said anyone who could leave the city should. He exempted hotels from the evacuation order because airlines had already cancelled all flights.
Gov. Kathleen Blanco, standing beside the mayor at a news conference, said President Bush called and personally appealed for a mandatory evacuation for the low-lying city, which is prone to flooding.